storm aftermath

What an amazing weekend.  I, for one, was not expecting that DC would receive as much snow as predicted, despite all the hype. But oh, we did.  So much so, in fact, that the federal government is closed tomorrow for a storm which occurred two days ago.  In the government’s defense, I can see why after commuting home from Arlington this afternoon.  For one, metro service was sparse if not non-existent.  Had to wait at least a good 30 minutes for a train.  Coming back to DC, I also noticed that the roads are not done nearly as well as Arlington roads were done, if you can in fact call Arlington roads “done well.”  This morning in Clarendon, we actually witnessed a plow dumping snow into a dump truck, if that gives you an idea of what we are dealing with here.  I get into DC, and see that half the roads aren’t even plowed at all.  It really is kind of chaotic; people who clearly have no idea how to drive in the snow spinning out, cars stuck everywhere, snow everywhere, many cars still totally covered with no sign of being dug out anytime soon. My point being that after this kind of storm, which apparently DC hasn’t seen in December since the 1930’s, it would make sense that the federal government is closed tomorrow.  Not liberal leave, not unscheduled leave, but completely and totally closed folks.  I am so excited to have tomorrow off.  This weekend has already been amazing and now we get to continue it. Life is good.

great plow job on Corcoran

I never thought I’d be so excited to see snow.  One would think I had enough of the stuff in Connecticut.  Apparently not.  I was giddy beyond belief as soon as I saw the first flakes fall on Friday night.  I was expecting some snow, but nothing like what we actually received.  Granted, we were moving my sister all day on Saturday, in the middle of a blizzard.  This, of course, would only happen to us.  Only we would be stuck moving not only in some snow, but in a full on blizzard.  Luckily, we had a good amount of people (thanks again guys, you are awesome!) and had a lot of fun doing it.  The snow made it pretty surreal.  The only problem was driving the UHaul back to the main headquarters after we were done.  My sister’s car drives beautifully in the snow so no problems there.  Sure, the UHaul maybe got stuck on Columbia Pike, causing a huge backup for 20 minutes, but who’s complaining.  Good times.

this is us moving in a blizzard

guy skiing down Wilson Blvd in Courthouse

While I did have a blast in Arlington with my peeps, which by the way did include a late night tubing session in Courthouse and at Iwo Jima (be jealous!), I was a bit disappointed to miss the snowball fight which happened basically right outside my door at 14 and U.  Then the snowball fight makes CNN, and I missed it!  Granted it only made the headlines because a cop decided to pull a gun (smart), but I was so upset I missed what was happening in my new DC hood.  So it’s good to be back.  I feel like a kid in a candy store with all this snow.  Playing in it, sledding, snowball fights, and maybe some ice skating and more sledding forcasted for tomorrow!  Bring it on.  I am really starting to love living in the city.


One Response to storm aftermath

  1. […] one week, so gradually slid to the #4 position.  This week, as you know, we were dealing with the move and the blizzard of ‘09.  So, naturally, I completely forgot to change my team.  I finally remembered last night during […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: